Services & Therapies
Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine
Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medicine treatment that involves the insertion of very fine, sterilised, single use needles at strategic points in the body along energy channels called meridians. When the flow of energy in these meridians becomes obstructed, disease occurs. Acupuncture helps unblock the flow of energy in the body, which signals the body to heal itself. Clinical studies have shown that acupuncture has a wide variety of effects on the body, including hormonal regulation, improving blood circulation, releasing natural opioids such as endorphins, and relieving emotional stress.
Chinese Herbal Medicine
Chinese herbal medicine is the most popular form of therapy in traditional Chinese medicine. It involves the practitioner prescribing a carefully designed herbal formula composed of around twelve to fifteen herbal medicines tailored to your bodies imbalances. We prescribe powdered herbal medicines that are easy to administer. Chinese herbal medicines have been clinically proven to provide safe and effective treatment for a large range of disorders, from period pain to irritable bowel syndrome and sub-fertility.
Cupping Therapy And Acupressure
Cupping therapy is an age-old healing therapy that has been practiced throughout Asia and Europe for centuries. This involves the placement of suction cups on the body to activate the lymphatic system, promote blood circulation, expel toxins, and promote deep healing. It is often applied with traditional acupressure, which is similar to acupuncture however it uses pressure instead of needles. Infant massage and acupressure may also be applied to young children to help in the management of a large range of disorders. Many of these techniques can be taught to parents.
Dietary Therapy And Nutrition
Dietary therapy in Chinese medicine is similar to herbal medicine but uses common everyday foods to rebalance the body and treat disorders. This often includes conventional nutrition and supplementation. In addition, lifestyle advice is often provided to help remove the external causes of illness and change negative habits in the individual’s lifestyle. Particular dietary plans and exercises may be prescribed.
Moxabustion And Heat Therapy
Moxabustion is a type of heat therapy that often accompanies acupuncture treatment. It involves burning a herb called mugwort above strategic regions or points of the body to stimulate the body to heal itself, improve circulation and relieve pain. Heat therapy may also include the use of mineral infrared heat lamp to improve circulation of blood and energy in the tissues and relieve pain.
What Conditions Can Be Treated?
The World Health Organisation (WHO) recognises acupuncture as an effective treatment, as proven in placebo-controlled trials, for a large range of conditions. Robert commonly assists in the management of a large variety of disorders. These include:
- Pain management: back pain, neck pain, tennis elbow, knee pain, headaches, herpes zoster neuralgia, sciatica, facial pain and paralysis, postoperative pain, sports injury, and arthritis.
- Natural fertility enhancement for men and women: Men’s and women’s infertility and subfertility, IVF assistance, prenatal care.
- Pregnancy and postnatal care: morning sickness, miscarriage prevention, pregnancy support, labour induction, breech presentation, postnatal depression, poor lactation, mastitis.
- Post cancer rehabilitation and immune support: immunoprotective therapy including treatment for chemotherapy and radiotherapy side effects.
- Women’s health and hormonal balance: menstrual irregularities, period pain, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, polycystic ovaries, PMS, and menopause.
- Facial rejuvenation acupuncture: natural anti-aging skin therapy that aims at increasing collagen formation and circulation in the face and surrounding tissues with a holistic focus.
- Men’s health: low libido, impotence, prostate enlargement, prostatitis, and hair loss.
- Digestive balance: irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), constipation, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, acid reflux, bloating, indigestion and mouth ulcers.
- Cardiovascular care and prevention: coronary heart disease, atrial fibrillation, high cholesterol, hypertension, palpitations, chest pain, and cardiovascular disease prevention.
- Emotional balance and support: depression, anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, and mood swings.
- Skin detoxification and purification: anti-ageing, psoriasis, acne, tinea, scar healing therapy and cosmetic acupuncture.
- Respiratory health and restoration: common colds, influenza, cough, bronchitis, asthma, allergies, sinusitis, wheezing, breathlessness.