Services & Therapies
Natural Fertility Management
Natural Fertility Management is based on a successful regime for pre-conception care and fertility problems by Francesca Naish. Using nutritionalsupplements, diet and lifestyle changes, pathology testing, herbs and cycle charting, chances of a healthy conception is enhanced greatly.
Pre- conception care is about maximizing the health of the future pare nts in every way. This Includes:
- Ensuring adequate nutrients are available in the diet (and if required with supplements) to make healthy sperm & eggs.
- Minimizing harmful things that can adversely effect your health.
- Understanding your fertility to maximize conception timing.
This involves both partners, and should be implemented 4 months prior to conception. This is because sperm formation takes up to 4 months and eggs 100 days. The result optimizes the chances of a healthy full-term pregnancy; a bright alert and content baby with less illness and allergies, and a successful breastfeeding relationship. It is the ultimate in preventative healthcare.
Some steps involved in preparation are:
- Screening for heavy metal toxicity and checking essential nutrients.
- Avoiding environmental hazards e.g. electromagnetic radiation, toxic chemicals.
- Treating allergies and/or other immune disorders.
- Checking and treating genito-urinary tract infections.
- Avoiding smoking, drugs, excessive caffeine and unnecessary medication.
- Eating organically and improving the diet.
- Taking supplements as required.
- Relaxation, meditation and /or yoga.
- Adequate filtered water.
This involves the preconception care program as outlined above, as well as treating the particular presenting problems with herbal treatments, dietary changes, physical therapies and /or nutrient supplements. A couple is treated as “infertile” if no conceptions have resulted after one year of trying to conceive.
Female factors include:
- Hormonal disturbances e.g. Polycystic ovaries, endometriosis, lack of ovulation, and sometimes fibroids.
- Physical problems e.g. blocked or damaged tubes from previous surgery or infections, increasing age.
Male factors include:
- Sperm issues. Sperm counts have dropped approximately 50% in the last 50 years. Issues with the various parameters – motility, count, morphology and antibodies are treated slightly differently. This involved herbs, nutrients, and looking at environmental toxins. Physical factors may need to be addressed also.
- “Unexplained Infertility”, where there is no identified reason, is often overcome by adopting the pre-conception program. It this is unsuccessful, addressing potential psychological factors that may hinder the couple, may be an option.
Overall, the major underlying causes of infertility appear to be:
- Environmental pollutants.
- Poor nutritional status including poor absorption of nutrients.
- A dysfunctional immune system.
- Genito-urinary tract infections.
- After effects of contraceptives, some drugs or surgery.
- A greater age for first time parents.
These can be due to many reasons including.
- Immune factors.
- Nutritional deficiencies.
- Genito-urinary tract infections.
- Poor timing of conception attempts.
- Hormonal issues.
- Adopting pre-conception principles and targeting the specific issues will frequently result in a full term pregnancy and a healthy baby!
The best side-effect of adopting the “Natural Fertility” approach is the couple feel healthier, more energetic and empowered. On occasions, reproductive technology is the only solution and adopting the pre-conception principles greatly enhances the chances for a successful outcome. Rather than an “either/or” approach, natural remedies) when used by an experienced practitioner) can be useful leading up to, and in some cases during, IVF cycles.
Pregnancy, Birth And Beyond
Once conception occurs, diet, supplements, counselling and some physical treatments e.g. Bowen therapy/reflexology and massage are used during thepregnancy to maximize the health of the mother and growing baby.